With its outstanding macadamia nut crust, creamy, thick lime filling and sweetwhipped creamOn top of that, this really is the best key lime pie I've ever had. And after 1 bite, I think you will agree. Only 3 ingredients are needed for the filling!
Key Lime Pie will forever be one of my favorite desserts. This Florida specialty has been convincing my palate for years. Between the buttery and crunchy crust, the flavorful custard filling, and the all-important creamy topping, no dessert can match Key Lime Pie!
But can you make something good even better?And.
What Makes This the Best Key Lime Pie?
- Extra thick and nutty crust
- 3 ingredient filling
- Easy to do
- Totally refreshing
- Mega Key Lime Flavor
- Topped with homemade whipped cream
- Sweet, salty, lemony, buttery, creamy and spicy all in one
Here's how to make this key lime pie
Key Lime Pie has a few simple steps. Most of the "work" is done while the key lime pie is being made in the fridge, so it's perfect in the summer when you prefer to be outdoors. (Many readers make this easy cake for Memorial Day weekend, Father's Day, Fourth of July, summer birthday parties, and Labor Day gatherings.)
- Make the crust:Use a food processor to combine the macadamia nuts and graham cracker crumbs. Mix with melted butter and sugar, then press firmly into acake dish.
- Pre-bake the crust:Pre-bake the crust for about 8 minutes before pouring in the key lime filling. Pre-baking sets the crust and allows for easy slicing once the pie is ready to serve.
- Make the filling:Whisk together the 3 ingredients for the filling – it will be thick! Pour into the warm crust.
- Bake a cake:Key lime pie only bakes 17-20 minutes. When completely cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Garnish and serve:This is especially delicious with freshwhipped cream. By the way, if you're looking for an alternative way to serve Key Lime Pie, try my custom oneupside down key lime pies. Basically the same filling as this cake.
Graham crackers macadamia nut crust
Key Lime Pie is traditionally made withGraham cracker crust. It's the most wonderful crunchy, sweet and buttery bed for the fresh key lime filling. But hey, how about going a little crazy? You won't believe the difference macadamia nuts make. I use about 1/2 cup macadamia nuts instead of some graham cracker crumbs and the result ispure bliss. Macadamia nuts are a gem and, it turns out, are often overlooked in the baking world. Why though? You are so good.
You only need 4 ingredients for this crust:
- Macadamianüsse (I recommend salted)
- Graham Cracker
- Melted butter
Pulse the macadamias with graham crackers, then toss with melted butter and sugar. Because Key Limes are a little sweeter than regular limes, you'll love the sweet and tangy Key Lime filling with the salty graham cracker macadamia nut crust.
Key lime pie filling with 3 ingredients
Yes, my key lime pie filling is just 3 ingredients. (!!) If you've tried mineKey Lime Pie RiegelorMini Key Lime Pies, you will notice that today's filling is slightly different. I usually add some cream cheese to the filling for stability and structure, but decided against it today. We're keeping it traditional with this classic Key Lime Pie, which means we used egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and Key Lime juice.
My tip for success:Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of lime juice from the store. Along with the bottled lemon juice, most major grocery stores have a brand of bottled lime juice that I love called Nellie & Joe's. Just make sure you use lime juice, not regular lime juice. Otherwise you'll spend 100 years juicing 500 tiny key limes yourself. You'll need a whole cup of lime juice and yes, it will take 100 years to squeeze them all!
How to tell when Key Lime Pie is done
One of the most common key lime pie problems, and one of the easiest to fix, is over-baked pie. It's difficult to know when the pie will be ready, but here's my secret: Bake the key lime pie until only the filling remainsslightly wobblyin the center (about 15-20 minutes). It should be firm to the touch but not completely runny or completely solid. The cake will continue to set as it cools.
Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. I recommend garnishing your key lime pie before serving.
How to Decorate Key Lime Pie
Let the Key Lime flavor stand out and keep the garnishes simple.
- Self-madewhipped cream
- Since you have leftover egg white, do aKiss-Topping– You have time to kill anyway while the cake cools 🙂
- Sliced limes cut into quarters
- lime zest
- Whole macadamia nuts
I've tried LOTS of key lime pie and I can say that with confidencethe best key lime pie I have ever eaten.
Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Nut Crust
★★★★★4.7 out of 74 ratings
- Author: failure
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 3 hours, 35 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Kitchen: American
This tangy-sweet Key Lime Pie is deliciously simple with an extra thick and nutty crust. Only 3 ingredients are needed for the filling!
Graham crackers macadamia crust
- 11(one160gr) full sheetGraham Cracker
- 1/2 tax(62g) saltedMacadamianüsse(I use roasted)
- 2 tablespoons(25g)granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons(71g)unsalted butter, melted
filling + topping
- 28 ounces(two 14-ounce cans;793g) Full fatsweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tax(240ml)lime juice
- 4largeegg yolk*
- Garnish:lime zest, lime slices, macadamia nuts,whipped cream, orKiss-Topping
- Preheat oven to 177°C.
- Make the crust:Using a food processor, grind the graham crackers and macadamia nuts into crumbs. A few larger pieces of nuts are fine. Pour into a medium bowl and stir in the sugar. Add the melted butter and stir until combined. The mixture will be thick, gritty, and gritty. Try to smash/break big chunks. Pour the mixture into an ungreased 9-inch cake pan. Using medium pressure, use your hand to pound the crumbs down into the bottom and up the sides to form a compact crust. Do not pack with heavy force as this will make the crust too hard. Simply tap until the mixture is no longer crumbly/crumbly.Tips:You can use a small flat-bottomed measuring cup to press down the bottom crust and smooth the top, but don't press too hard. Run a spoon around the bottom "corner" where the rim and base meet to create a rounded crust - this will help prevent the crust from falling apart. For more shaping technique tips, seeGraham cracker crustrecipe page.
- Pre-bake the crust for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave the oven on.
- make filling:Whisk together (or use an electric mixer) the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks. Pour into the warm crust.
- Bake the cake for 17-20 minutes or until the center just *slightly* wobbles. You want it to be mostly set. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. When cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (and up to 3 days) before serving.
- Garnish as you like. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Prep and Freeze Instructions:You can prepare and par-bake the crust up to 2-3 days in advance. Cover and store at room temperature. You can also mix the filling up to 2-3 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate, then assemble and bake. Baked and chilled cake freezes well for up to 3 months; thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Special tool: KitchenAid Stand Mixer|Colorful whisks|Zester|citrus press|Baked glass cake stand
- Graham Cracker Crust:If you are purchasing graham cracker crumbs, you will need 1 1/3 cups (160g) for this recipe. Even if it's already crumbs, you can still pulse with the nuts. If you want to skip the nuts, use theseGraham cracker crustUse the recipe and pre-bake for 8 minutes.
- Leftover protein:Here are all mineRecipes with only protein, or you can make oneKiss-Toppingfor the cake.
- Non-US readers: Don't you have graham crackers where you live? Instead, use 180g of ground digestive biscuits (about 12 biscuits) with equal amounts of nuts and butter and add an extra tablespoon (12g) of sugar. Bake for 10 minutes.
Keywords:Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Nut Crust
More refreshing dessert ideas
When temperatures soar, the last thing you want to do is spend time in a hot kitchen. You'll appreciate these easy, delicious, and totally refreshing desserts:
- Creamy lemon cake
- No-Bake Cheesecake
- Lemon Berry Trifle
- Mini Key Lime Pies
- peanut butter cake
- Strawberry Shortcake